Wednesday Workshop | How to Fix a Door that Won’t Stay Open
Have you ever had a door that just refuses to stay open? They drive me crazy! I don’t want to shove something in front of a door inside my house every single time I want it open.
I had this problem with door to my bedroom. No matter how wide I opened it, or held it in place, it would slowly shut on its own. I put off fixing it for a while, because I was pretty sure it was going to require me taking the entire door off the hinges, sanding the frame, and reinstalling the door. That was not a project I wanted to undertake in my first few weeks of living on my own! The unpacking and settling everyone in was already overwhelming enough. We had a lot on our plates as my ex and I went through separation.
In the end, I got frustrated enough with the constant shutting to do some research, and it turns out this problem as a super easy fix! All it requires is a hammer and a screwdriver, and about 3 minutes of your time.
How to Make A Door Stop Closing on its Own
- Using a screwdriver and hammer, remove the middle pin from the door hinge.
- Take the pin and the hammer outside to the cement patio or driveway, or garage.
- Lay the pin on the cement and give it 2-3 good whacks in the middle of the pin so it warps slightly.
- Go back inside and reinstall the pin in the hinge, using the hammer to gently bang it back into place.
- The door should not close on its own anymore! However, sometimes it takes a little more to fix it. If it’s still closing, remove the top pin, and repeat the above steps.
- YOU DID IT!!!!! And I bet you didn’t even have to break a sweat.